Boom Nation Champs

Thursday, November 24, 2011

NICU & Coming Home


Because I developed a fever during labor, Mazzie's first few days were a little more exciting than expected.  The doctor diagnosed my fever as an infection, Corio, and it is hospital policy that all babies born to a mother with Corio spend their first 48 hours in the NICU.  She looked good, but the precaution was necessary.  Not exactly what we had planned, but we wanted what was best for our little girl, so we sent her on her way (with a few tears, of course).

The hardest part of the NICU was probably all of the wires.  Mazzie needed antibiotics (through an IV) for the infection and she was attached to monitors.  It didn't make for easy holding and nursing, but we did our best.  Speaking of nursing, Maslynn received her first bottle within a few hours of birth (thanks, Daddy!).  She ate like a champion, easily downing two ounces.


Getting to hold Maslynn for the first time was the most incredible thing I've ever experienced.  We had an instant connection, that I know.  I looked down at her and she looked right back at me.  I whispered in her little ear and we were bonded forever.

The NICU at Blank is absolutely phenomenal...no doubt about it.  Jon and I (and other family members who visited) were able to spend lots of time with Mazzie in her NICU room.  She received so much attention and the best care possible.  The nurses and doctors were amazing - they kept us informed of everything and treated her like a princess.

After 2 days of special treatment, Mazzie was released from the NICU with glowing reports.  She joined us in the maternity ward on Sunday morning around 8:00.  It felt great to be together...even when she didn't want to sleep at night!  :-)

We were all discharged from the hospital on Monday morning.  Jon and I were ready to get home and get settled.  Life as we knew it was officially over...no more sleeping in, no more late nights out, but lots of fun was headed our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment